[RC] hard headed horses - rides2far

Mike Sherrell wrote:   "When she moves an inch, immediately take up
the > slack. Keep as much tension on the ropes as possible (i.e., wrap
them > around your forearm and lean hard) "

Geez,

I can't imagine why anybody, male or female would try to overpower a
horse. If you can win a battle of strength with any horse, that horse
isn't worth having.

You have no idea how hard it is for me to get this retarded "yank up the
slack" idea out of my helper's heads when I am loading a horse. I happen
to love rump ropes, but the HARDEST thing about it is finding someone who
will listen when you tell them NEVER put pressure on the horse's head, I
only want them to keep the nose pointed forward. If the horse backs up DO
NOT put pressure on his head. I apply pressure with the rump rope and the
second the horse gives *at all* he gets some relief IMMEDIATELY. I let
him stand there a few minutes to enjoy his reward for moving forward,
then I tighten up the rump rope just enough to be uncomfortable, then
wait. They're usually a little quicker to move forward the second time
but if some numbscull who is helping you yanks up the slack immediately
all is lost. The horse says to himself, "Well, going forward didn't work,
I"ll try something else"!

Angie
Great pay, great benefits, rewarding.  Click for information on a healthcare
career.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3oH0aWOQajzV1gM9WuqUfQmlmowmGcCK01bB3Wl1S6IGLnri/