FW: [RC] hard headed horses - Mike Sherrell

I agree that the point of the lead rope is primarily to keep the head
pointed forward; I think I said that at one point. I rather resent your
dismissive tone, however. The reason that halters work and are used to
control horses is that they make it possible to force the horse's head
around to the side if you are at the right angle. From many angles the horse
can overpower you, but from right angles to the side you have the mechanical
advantage. You are doubtless aware of this, if perhaps unconsciously,
because anyone who has handled horses from the ground has lost control over
a horse because it was pulling at a bad angle and imposed control on a
resistant horse because they were at a good angle. Horses of course soon
learn that when haltered they are pretty much under human control, and then
you can lead them about with the lead rope draped over one finger. Your
statement, "If you can win a battle of strength with any horse, that horse
isn't worth having" is exactly wrong: in order to "have" a horse you will
make it realize that ultimately it will lose a battle of strength. If you
did not have control of the horse by the physical means of halters and
fences it would be running free. I might add that on the face of it the use
of the butt rope is to overpower the horse's efforts to pull back.

I qualify my statement with the word "primarily" because there is one time
when putting pressure on the horse's head during loading is useful and
necessary, and that is if it rears; if possible, use the halter and lead
rope to keep it from going too high up.

Regarding "yank up the slack", that never happens because there should never
be any, until the horse is in. There need be no pressure when the horse is
moving or just thereafter, but there should be contact, not slack. If you
allow more than an inch or two of slack, if the horse shoots backwards even
a snubbed rope won't hold him. If you make this mistake, this is when gloves
will save you from rope burn.

I'm sorry to be so persnickety. The way you describe loading here is the
same as I do it, and there have been plenty of critics.

Regards,

Mike Sherrell
Grizzly Analytical (USA)
www.grizzlyanalytical.com