[RC] 100's - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Bruce:
...What form or forms of recognition would you be most gratified
with once you have completed a 100 mile ride?

Roop and I got to do our first 100 this year - and I had a blast. I'm
still ultra-hyped by it even though it was back in May and sitting
here writing about it is giving me flutters.

In addition to the amazement of "we did it!" and the gratitude that he
carried me all that way (which resulted afterwards in weeks of misty-
eyed pride and the fact I could continually repeat "I've got a 100-mile
horse!" - much to the boredom of all around me), I really can't say that
I'd do it for specific recognition - except to feel in my own heart and
mind that I'm now a *real* endurance rider - and I want to do *more*.

My record of continually trying to come third from last speaks for itself
and amply demonstrates that I don't do endurance to win rides. However,
I am constantly riding against myself and the trail, to improve *how* I'm
doing it. I'm not likely to ever figure in the end of year awards, but my
personal philosophy more than satisfies me.

To start a 100 miler made me about as proud as anything I've ever done
(although I have a distinct memory of arriving at ridecamp with a slightly
embarrassed feeling at my audacity of pretending I was a 100-mile rider).
Completing it even more so.

I'd hoped to get to try at least one more 100 this year, possibly two if it
worked for Roo (and he's by no means a "super horse" - just a good
worker bee), but then I broke my leg at the next ride, so that put me out
for the last 4 months. Figures. We'll have to see what next year brings.

a bumper sticker on your trailer...

Actually, that would be kind of fun. Kind of like those "kills" they used to
put on old war planes? A "100" sticker for every 100 you get to complete?
(and maybe a 100 with a line through it for all the ones you failed at? )

bragging rights at the water cooler at work...

definitely (although they have no clue about endurance ["the horse
does all the work, right?"] so it's sort of pointless.)

Another great idea was the 100 mile Horse Recognition Program that
was started privately by West and Pac SW riders:

http://100mileriders.com/WestRegion.html

(which reminds me that I have to register Roo).

The most sobering part of doing 100s is the knowledge that you can't
do as many of them as you can 50s - not having a "super horse" puts
paid to that idea, so I have to pick carefully and set my goals and temper
my enthusiasm (after all, the horse does all the work, right? ;-)).

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA