Re: [RC] 100 mile rides are disappearing - Truman Prevatt

All that may be true about 100's but I think the point is back in the
'90 - the multiday rides were new and there not the options that we now
have. The multiday rides - while different - do compete for the same set
of endurance dollars. Endurance riding comes out of the extra disposable
income one might have which I expect is going to take a dip for a lot of
people. The multi-day provides an attractive alternative to the 100 and
yes I think is significant competition for the 100.

Truman

Dawn Carrie wrote:
<<Someone told me that one of the reasons more riders don't attend 100 milers is that multi-day riders are more fun, give the riders more points, and offer a lovely 5-day vacation.>>
I've heard this argument before, but to me, multidays and 100s are apples and oranges. You're right, the multiday is like a long vacation, the horse/rider get more miles (and points, if that's important to the rider), and it's easier to do...ride 50 miles, have dinner, visit with friends, have a good night's sleep, then do another ride, etc. With a 100, one potentially rides all day and much of the night, no sleep, gets sore, tired, often no time for a good meal, etc. But the reward, for me, is much greater on a 100. I think 100s and multidays attract different kinds of people, to a certain extent, although there are definitely many who do both. I'd like to do some of the western multidays just because of the pretty trails. But my biggest wish is that I lived closer to more 100s. Given a choice between a multiday and a 100 on the same weekend, I'd choose the 100. Well, most of the time...to preserve marital harmony, we'd need to balance things out by making balanced choices. <VBG>
Dawn Carrie, Texas (whose hubby isn't doing 100s...yet)

--

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher
esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.”