Re: [RC] Wussification of endurance - Dawn Carrie

I think part of the issue is trail availability.  In many parts of the East, and considering Texas the East, since it's something like 95% (+ or - a couple %) private land, one simply can't MAKE a single 50 mile loop.  If one wants to have a ride at all, one has to have a bunch of short loops coming back to camp.  The Duck could never have his rides in CT region or SE region.  His type of rides are possible because of where he is as much as his philosophy.

That said, I personally prefer rides with fewer, longer loops, and prefer to see camp as little as possible once I start.  The popular 100 you mention is my least favorite 100.  It will always be dear to my heart because it was my very first 100 and that entire ride was magical for me.  And I will continue to enter it every year I have a horse ready because it *is* a 100.  But I dread all of those little short loops with a hold after every one...especially going 10 miles then back to camp for a hold.  But, a RM must work with what they have, and as a rider, I am very appreciative that she offers a 100, and I will support that RM with my entry.  It doesn't mean that I prefer that format.  My favorite format?  Start one place, end up another.  But, since my husband and I both ride, that's not very practical for us in most cases.  <G>

However, I do know what you were trying to get at...and I wonder if those same riders who ask about showers and shavings would just as happily attend a ride with camp in an open field with porta potties and only horse water provided.  I would like to think the answer is yes, and that they are just asking about the amenities at the former ride because the amenities are there.

Dawn Carrie (who hasn't done a 100 in an entire year and is having withdrawals...)
and Bear (yeah, when we gonna do one of those looong rides?)
and Sundance (what's a 100...is it good to eat?)