Re: [RC] How do I find a good horse personality/breed fit - Janice Taylor

Hi Faith,

I think we just 'click' with certain horses more than others.  Just like we do with other people.

I've had Arabs all my adult life (near to 40 years)...whoa, where did the time go... But, I bought a Paint horse for my old age riding endeavors, (ha, ha) some ten years ago.  My relationship with this horse was very trying indeed... it was like getting a different species rather than a different breed.  We eventually worked out a compromise, which I had to regularly re-establish with more firmness than I ever had to do with my Arabs. When I asked him to do something he didn't want to do, he would say "Make me!"
I also had a Quarter horse/Arab cross that was a great personallity, but a real stinker. Then finally back to the purebred Arabs.  The Arabs are so much more sensitive to work with, and way more fun to play with. With them you merely have to think what you want and they say "OK, I'll try!"

A funny:  When I first started to ride Noways, a purebred arab that I ride now. We were going over some techi stuff and he then wanted to rush over it to catch up to his buddy, not listening to me, and being a bit silly. So I smacked him on the neck with the flat of my hand, which is what I had to do to the Q/Arab cross to get his attention...  Poor Noways nearly jumped off the trail when I connected with him.... I had to appoligize for the next several miles...and remember to use a gentler approach to reprimend his mistakes.

I'm not saying you can't get that kind of relationship with other breeds, but for me it has always been the Arabs that want to crawl into your tent...

Janice