Re: [RC] 100 miler education/incentive - Angie Fura

I think it would really nice to have a visible token to show off having done a 100.  But I don't know that this will attract new people to the distance.  When I started endurance, I thought of 100 milers are rock stars.  I really, really wanted to be in that club!   I think you either want to do a 100 or you don't.

Maybe what we can do, as others suggested, is to prove that 100 milers aren't unattainable.  Most folks hear how hard they are.  Yes, there is a lot preparation required.  I had to solve all sorts of tack , balance, and equitation issues before I even thought about entering one.  And I lost 20 pounds and got fit to help my horse's performance.  You may be able to skip this kind of prep for a 25 or 50, but in the 100.  IMO, this is wat scares everyone away.

I can't wait to do my next 100.  My problem is that there aren't any close to me until next spring!

Angie Fura

www.tracetribute.com

As for incentives, maybe there can be some sort of recognition for a member's first 100 and/or the horse's first 100? Maybe a mention in the Endurance News where the other mileage milestones are celebrated? Or a patch or something? Dunno. Something small, but would have meaning to the receiver? I know I treasure my first t-shirt from my first 50 completion. Well, ok, I actually didn't receive a t-shirt; the completion awards were mugs. So I had my own t-shirt specially made and personalized for me and my horse. I love that shirt. I tend to get asked about it when I wear it to the store or something. :)

April
Nashville, TN