Fwd: [RC] Neck Manipulation - desertrydr1

-----Original Message-----
From: desertrydr1@xxxxxxx
To: Amber@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 7:19 pm
Subject: Re: [RC] Neck Manipulation

OTOH, I got the bad chiro.  I had some problems with a silver dollar sized numb spot in my Rt. arm,about 1/2 way between elbow and shoulder.  I went to the chiro for a few weeks, and it got better, more or less.  Then I started having some severe pain that started in the Left shoulder, ran down the arm, and made it absolutely impossible to lie in certain positions.  I went back to the chiro.  Even though it had been over six months, and the pain was on the other side, he did no X-rays (which I'm not convinced would have made a difference) and started adjusting me.  The pain got worse during and after the adjustment.  So I went to my family DR, who ended up referring me to an Orthopod, who ended up doing an MRI and other tests that determined I had herniated disks.  Eventually, when I was able to change insurance, I had two (whole nother arrogant DR story) surgeries.  Finally out of pain.

I truly believe that the chiro adjustments made the herniated disks worse and will never go to a chiro again.  I have found that PT is so much more effective in treating injuries, and it seems I spend at least 4-10 weeks a year going to my favorite PT.  When I walk in the door, it's just like family.  I was REALLY glad to see Dr. Q now has a PT associated with his practice.

Maybe a lot of people got relief from chiro, but all the ones I ever went to said something to the effect that they needed to see me 4 times a week for the first two weeks, then 3 times a week for a couple months, then probably at least once or twice a week for the rest of my life in order to "maintain"  Excuse me, but I have my own horse trailer to buy, I'm not buying someone else's boat, or putting their kid through college.

This is definitely not a dis of you, Dr. Q.  From the info you share, you seem like one of the good ones.  You seem to look at things with a much more open mind than the 8 or 10 chiros I've been to over the years.  And you freely gives your knowledge to anyone who asks.  You appear to have a thorough understanding of anatomy and the causes and treatments of a wide range of injuries.  Just wish you were closer.  But unless I ever find a chiro that I totally trust, I will stick to PT and Massage, and my own little version of pilates/yoga/floor exercises/stretching.  jeri