From: Marlene Moss <marlene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC] permission to ride on private property
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, September 19, 2008, 12:00 PM

I posted a while back about a road we ride on that goes through private property which we used to have permission to ride on, but now there are new owners and they aren’t giving permission.  This cuts out our “easy” loop, but we still had a road that goes up a nice hill for conditioning (albeit a bit rocky and intimidating for some riders and green horses).  Now the owners along that road are trying to decide if they want to let us continue riding their portion of the road.  These are private roads and their option is to fence and gate the access if they decide to keep us out.

But the two primary people that we are talking to are open to discussion and letting us continue as long as they feel we can find a way to remove any chance of liability should one of us get bucked off and get hurt.

I told them we would try to write something up that we and our boarders could sign removing any liability from them as property owners if they let us keep riding through.  This is really the only place we have to ride without trailering so I would like to come up with something as completely fair to them as possible.  I don’t quite want to promise that no one would go on the road without us “escorting” because we do have one or two boarders that are more independent, but I will do that if it helps.

Can anyone give me verbiage from contracts or agreements they have made with property owners for something like this?  Is there any way of guaranteeing that they couldn’t be held liable?  Would it be better or worse on the liability side if we made arrangements for a “leased” trail and provided the property owners some compensation?  Anything else I need to be considering?

Thanks for ANY help!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.LosPinos-CO.com - Boarding, Sales and More