Re: [RC] More evacuation options - Truman Prevatt

When Andrew slammed into South FL in '92 it was devastating for the horses. They had a rescue area set up at a race track in Miami and they had hundreds of horses brought in. Some were claimed - some weren't. Some were injured from flying debris - metal off of roofs was a killer as was roofing tile.

It's not that people don't care - many times people have no place to go. Many times they decide to "ride it out." Some people have six horses and a 3 horse trailer. The decision to or stay becomes very difficult when you have horses.

Yes I fear the horses will suffer but so will the people. We may have just seen the end of Galveston, TX or at least much of it. In 2004 I watching as Hurricane Charley was headed to hit Tampa and then in about 50 miles roll right over my head. It was a category 4 - Ike is a cat 2. We decided since we were inland that we were probably better off her than on the road with two horse trailers and clogged roads. Charley took a right hand turn 80 miles South of Tampa and rolled over Punta Gorda, FL. It pretty much ground the town into the ground. The Tampa bay area was evaluated and many went inland to Orlando. The roads were clogged. When Charlie turned the weather in Tampa was fine - it rolled right over the people stuck in traffic trying to get to Orlando.

Some times there are not any good choices in these situations.

Truman

Lauren & Allan Horn wrote:
This is for those of you in the evacuation areas: Are people taking their horses (animals)? If people left their horses are there animal control officers that move the horses. I just can't help thinking about the poor animals that will suffer because people just don't care.

Lauren

--

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.” Friedrich Nietzsche