From: aylisha@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Breeding your mare...sheesh guys
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 16:03:10 +0000

All she wanted was some good advice so she WOULDN'T breed willy nilly... And often it is NOT the "breed my favorite mare once and keep the baby" ppl that are flooding the market..it is the big time breeders that breed 50 mares EVERY season so they can MAYBE get ONE halter/racer/whatever champion... I have a "mutt" mare (all i know is she is QH/Morgan, no papers, no history) that I love...I wanted my own baby out of her to raise HOW I LIKE (and even buying a weanling is too late in that department for me) and I went and researched the best stud I could to compliment my mare and what I wanted to do (endurance)....picked out DR Thunderbask (to the original poster, I would HIGHLY recommend both Faramir or Doc's son, Echo, for breeding to your mare...talk about a consistent breeding program..Cherri knows her stuff and my 3yo filly is everything I hoped for...EVEN with the "unkowns" about her mom's side) and got exactly what I wanted (ok, so the little brat could be a LITTLE less dominant alpha mare than she is, but hey, that is her individual personality...:P). I am starting her under saddle this winter and can't wait to get her out on trails next spring :)
Also, many Morabs are now no longer a true hybrid...they have been a "breed" (with registry) for some time now, and many of them are bred by breeding Morab to Morab, not just Arab to Morgan... they have their own "lines" and if they came from responsible breeders, both original breeds were well researched to create the Morab offspring.... Besides, aren't MOST "breeds" today the results of judicious crosses of breeds (TB, QH, gaited breeds, WBs, etc etc) way back when? Hybrid vigor to me is also a great selling point!
   Nat (lighten up ppl...all those "rescue" horses are total unkowns often too, without papers, histories, possible bad upbringing, lack of nutrition proper/health care, who knows what....etc...so are even more a crapshoot than breeding a mare you know to a stallion you know)

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming.... 'Wow! What a ride!' "