Re: [RC] breeding your mare - SandyDSA

Maybe she has a mare who so meets her desires and needs that it is worth it. It appears that she has thought this out, and frankly, I think we should be putting our "over-producing" energies to work convincing the ranches breeding dozens or even HUNDREDS of mares a season that THEY are the biggest contributors to the problem. Sheer numbers. If I had a chance to get one more foal out of my treasured girl who passed in 2005, I would do it in a heartbeat - with the understanding that the foal is mine to raise, love, grow old with.

I agree with Heidi - there are so few people producing quality Arabians with athletic ability and quality conformation that in general, I would plan to breed our own as replacements. One reason there are so many throw aways is because people are breeding crap and dumping them. Multiply it by the bigger breeder numbers and... "Houston, we have a problem". I am SO THRILLED that registrations for Arabian foals is down for the third year in a row!!!! The dumkaufpts at AHA are bemoaning this as a catastrophe and I am trying to figure out HOW to make them see that this is a GOOD thing - and something inevitable after decades of breeding anything with plumbing - and allowing crap to be promoted as good - halter horses with cow hocks, parrot mouth, SCID, too flat croups, to name a few problems. Western horses with bad hips, English horses who have to be REELED out of the barn for their long backs... sigh!

If there are quality Arabians out there with classically good lines, I say if you can AFFORD it, BREED it - there.