[RC] breeding your mare - Ann Blankenship

Jessica said:  I am planning on breeding my mare next year for a baby to replace my gelding when he gets older.

My immediate mental response was this:  Why would anyone breed anything during this terrible time when wonderful horses are going to slaughter by the truckload?  I know it’s tempting to breed your own and get this darling, tiny baby to play with; but, you NEVER know what you’re going to get and it’s really expensive to breed and bring a youngster along to riding age.  (I know, I know….  I did it myself but hay was cheaper then.  And I ended up with one OK foal and one crappy foal.  L)   Anyway, wouldn’t it make more sense to find a youngster that’s really what you want than take a chance on breeding??

JMO

ann