Re: [RC] "Perfect" horse for heavyweight rider? - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Thank you, Elizabeth and Barbara for your input on Polish bred horses.  I think the thing to remember here is the fact that Polish bred horses were bred to RACE!  They are going to have a race brain because that is in their nature!  If a Polish horse does not show promise of a top 5 out of the stud in Poland they are sold to the locals as working horse potentials and are not registered!  Best thing is to contact some of the old Polish breeders, whom have been to Poland, and imported horses directly from the national stud farms.   I am not talking about modern day - rather 20+ years ago.

There are not many of them older breeders left. However, two of the best would be Jim Wagner,  56426 CO RD 21, Bristol, IN  46507. and then  Mike Nichols, 236 Henry Sanford Road, Bridgewater, CT  06752 (although his NY address is best to reach him at). Jim bred for race horses and be sure to ask him about Sams Reflection.  Mike bred for performance show horses.  Both highly successful in their fields.  They would be the best to speak with on the temperament of any Polish bred line in the US today!

I have Samburu KA from the old Klee's Arabians of Santa Inez, CA.  Sammy (28) is a calm cool collected guy.  His progeny - HOT AS HELL no matter what their age!!!  Sammy, if challenged, by a mare or stud, will still to this day do his best to be number one!  However, he does not start out on a ride that way.  He is unpredictable in that manner.  And so have his off spring.  And two people to contact regarding Sammy get would be Ashar Farms in AR, and grand get, Kathy Troxler in CO.  Kathy Troxler, Troxler Team, 105 N Page Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80930, recently retired a, Deianira KA, Sammy daughter and is now working with her last foal, Captain Jack.  All of D's foals are performance horses.  Then there is Jacquelaine Brauninger whom many of you know from Ride Camp with her wonderful Patriot Missle +/ and his progeny.  Last but not least, of course, would be Cre-Run, 15460 Campbell Lake Road, Doswell, VA  23047.  As most of you know, Heather Reynolds is at the helm of their endurance line sales and operations.  Those lines being founded on a mix of lines in the earlier years and Polish in the later years.

The point here is the fact that Sammy is foundation Polish!  My experience with him and his progeny have dictated what I have found to be true, temperment wise, with most all pure Polish bred horses.  His sire *Muzulmanin++ and dam *Sorta x Czort were imported, by the Klee's from Poland.  They bred for performance show horses!   They hated the racing industry.  Ashar Farm's, Lonnie Crowell,  PO Box 490, Dardanelle, AR 72834, had a Sammy daughter, Dobra KA (died a few years ago) and has bred a number of successful race foals!  The most successful being AF Sir Vivor.  What the Polish race breeders and performance breeders were looking for was bone, speed, stamina, and brains.  They went specifically looking for Doktryner and Czort (Forta son) in the bloodlines.  With those lines they knew they would not be disappointed and they were not!

Anyone, serious about buying a pure polish or polish bred horse owes it to themselves to do the research and make sure you know what you are getting into.  And Barbara is absolutely correct...they are sturdy, well boned, and work like a Sherman Tank (no offensive Kathy LOL).  :)   They also have a brain and like to use it themselves without your help if they so desire!

I am sorry that Dr. Samuel Harrison is not alive today.   He was tagged the 'Father of Arabian Racing' in the US. Then there was Hazel Lucas of NV.  Both gone - and such a loss for our Polish Horse industry and racing industry.

D'Arcy