Re: [RC] "Perfect" horse for heavyweight rider? - Barbara McCrary

Here are my answers to your questions, based on my viewpoint and experience. Others may have different opinions and I don't claim to be the final authority on anything. :-))

Polish Arabs can be very sturdy, so that route would likely work. I don't know about the "hotness" of Polish horses in general, but maybe not so hot as some other lines. Not sure there.

There are a good many Arabs that can carry 240# just fine. Try to talk him into a lighter weight saddle if you can, but of course it needs to fit his prospective horse well.

I would not recommend starting a horse in endurance competition at less than 6 years for Limited Distance, 7 for 50 milers, and 8-9 for 100 milers. This is my opinion and I think it is solidly based. I have mentioned this to other long-time riders and some have agreed with me. This regimen should give you a horse that lasts longer. Spend the time between 4 and 6 doing a lot of long slow distance to build up the bone, tendons, ligaments, muscles, as well as the heart and lungs. If he doesn't want to wait that long, buy an older horse to start with.

Some Mustangs are BIG, so if he's interested in that direction, have him select a bigger one with adequate bone. There are several excellent BLM Mustangs competing now. No need to select one that is 14.2 hands and has light bone.

Many Morgans nowadays are BIG, too. The one consistent comment from Morgan owners I have talked to says that they tend to recover slower and need more attention than Arabs. They tend to take longer to cool their body core. AND...some Morgans are no less hot-headed than some Arabs. It depends on the genetic disposition of the bloodline within the breed...plus training, as well.

I've ridden some real hot-headed Arabs and some that would start out a ride on a loose rein at a walk, while other horses were blasting out of the starting line. I LOVE that kind!

There are also several very successful Appys in endurance, too.

Barbara
Central coast CA

P.S. I just happen to have a 9 year old 3/4 Arab mare for sale that is at least 15 hands and could carry a Sherman tank. She is stout-bodied, has great legs and feet, has never been injured and is ready for hard work. We bred her, but by the time she became old enough to work hard, we were riding endurance less and less (we're getting old!) She's had plenty of training, but I wouldn't recommend her to anyone who is not experienced. She needs a rider with a lot of confidence who can see her through her little hesitations on the trail. The "OHMIGOSH, there is a log over there" sort of thing.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Betsy Thomas" <betsy@xxxxxxx>