Re: [RC] Dawn - crossing below the overlook - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Thank you, Sheila, for this information.  It is so very important to know the areas and the conditions we are riding in.  With that in mind I wanted to let everyone know that rides in Sly Park to NOT go down to the waters edge even though the ground looks dried out.  I learned the hard way, today, that the dried ground is superficial.  Luckily nothing major happened to Valentina or myself.  However, it was a very scary moment when your horse takes ONE step and sinks all four legs chest deep in mud!  My first thought was to get off of her as fast as I could to give her the momentum to get up and out.  She did exactly what she needed to do, so FAST, I didn't even have time to get off of her.  Instead I was bailed half off / half on!  I was amazed the strength it took her to lift up and jump up on all fours to solid ground.

I have never been in such a serious situation ever.  For nothing to be wrong is a miracle in my book.  I was prepared to walk her back the rest of the way.  She kept nudging me to get up on her.  After seeing that she was walking fine I got back up on her.  She didn't miss a beat and decided it was a nice path to trot, canter, and gallop the rest of the five miles.  Unbelievable to me to say the least!  I have read about these things happening and the results have been costly!  I consider myself and Valentina very fortunate today.

Again, Sheila, thank you, after this incident, today, I can't imagine getting a horse stuck in a river and not be able to get it out.  Everyone take care out there!

D'Arcy