Re: [RC] petting a skunk - Melissa Margetts Ms. Kitty

Tx Trigger wrote:
Not sure why anyone would encourage a skunk to hang around ones house, and even PET them when they are know to be one of the main rabies carriers. Why risk ones family, and other animals? Looks like Colorado is actually doing a skunk surveillance program due to recent rabies issues.

Yes, a rabid skunk was recently discovered in eastern Colorado, the first in about 30 years.
http://denver.yourhub.com/Littleton/Stories/News/General-News/Story~502078.aspx <http://denver.yourhub.com/Littleton/Stories/News/General-News/Story%7E502078.aspx>
Carla Richardson
Colorado

Yes, TX, Carla answered that question for me. There HASN'T been rabies in Colorado in about 30 years so though there is a risk, it HAD been considered minimal. And still is. But it now has been documented so the "heads-up" is out there. One reason I haven't chosen to live trap her and take her somewhere else is that she is a great "rodent control" expert and has kept the mouse population down when I have so much grain around for the other critters. She also has "one up" on my mouser house cat, as I get pretty upset with the "belled" domestic cat for killing as many songbirds, baby squirrels and rabbits as she does, as well as the mice. At least the skunk doesn't proudly bring them into the house, spit them out and torture them to death in front of me. I've certainly wanted to "relocate" the cat more times than the skunk. I also am in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors really, for a couple of miles, so the skunk hanging around my home isn't risking the "neighbors". This is the mountains and there are plenty of free roaming wild skunks. She's nocturnal and has never created any issues, damage, or ever sprayed so I've chosen to just leave her be. They ARE mustelids and there ARE vaccines out there, both oral and injectable for rabies that can be used, but again, these vaccines are not a sure guarantee on a non-domestic wild animal and can also actually "trigger" the virus and GIVE them rabies. After reading about this recent rabies incident here in Colorado, though I wont relocate her, I may close off the cat door so the skunk can't come in.

Melissa Margetts
Telluride Colorado
If you're not livin on the edge, you're takin up too much space.

There are 3+/- human rabies fatalities a year per the CDC:
*Human Rabies*

In this century, the number of human deaths in the United States attributed to rabies has declined from 100 or more each year to an average of 2 or 3 each year. Two programs have been responsible for this decline. First, animal control and vaccination programs begun in the 1940's and oral rabies vaccination programs in the 2000?s have eliminated domestic dogs as reservoirs of rabies in the United States. Second, effective human rabies vaccines and immunolglobins have been developed . All human cases in the United States since 1990 are summarized in the Table of Human Rabies Cases from 1995- 2006 <http://www.cdc.gov/rabies/epidemiology.html#table1>. The case histories of the ten most recent deaths can be found using the links below.

   * Puerto Rico ? 2003
   * California ? 2003
     <http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5302a4.htm>
   * Florida ? 2004 <http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5431a2.htm>
   * Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas (Transplant Associated Rabies) ? 2004
     <http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5326a6.htm>
   * Wisconsin (survivor) ? 2004
     <http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5350a1.htm>
   * California ? 2004