[RC] petting a skunk - Tx Trigger

Not sure why anyone would encourage a skunk to hang around ones house, and even PET them when they are know to be one of the main rabies carriers. Why risk ones family, and other animals?  Looks like Colorado is actually doing a skunk surveillance program due to recent rabies issues.

In Texas, we have had cases of equine rabies, and we are sure to vaccinate the horses. I understand it is most common to have the horse get bitten on the nose, when they either get curious about a skunk who is ill, and not moving away from the horses, or when a skunk goes over to the horses feed pan as it is eating, and bites it to make it move away so it can eat the feed.

We have a pretty good skunk eradication program on our property because of the rabies issues. Just not worth it. The only way to know if an animal is infected, is to send in its head to the state lab. And somehow, doing that to my horse, dog, or one of the cats does not thrill me if I think they had an interaction with a dang skunk.

Jonni in TX