Re: [RC] petting a skunk - Carla Richardson

Yes, a rabid skunk was recently discovered in eastern Colorado, the first in about 30 years.

Bats are the rabies reservoir in Colorado, I'm assuming it's because bats migrate up from Mexico, Texas, New Mexico, etc. into Colorado in the summer.  I don't think there has been a case of rabies in people since 1930's.  Even in dogs it's quite rare here, and we don't have to vaccinate our dogs every year, but every 3 years.

I grew up in Texas, and had to have 14 rabies shots (in my stomach - yuck) when I was 5 years old because I was exposed to a puppy that was later found to be rabid.  I still hate needles.  Nowadays, there's a much safer vaccine for people, but back then - many years ago :-p - the vaccine was a live virus and not so safe.

Carla Richardson
Colorado

Jonni wrote:

Looks like Colorado is actually doing a skunk surveillance program due to recent rabies issues.