[RC] Owyhee Canyonlands Update Update - Steph Teeter

I'm adding maps to the website, they should be done tonight for upload. The trails will also be available on Google Earth. There won't be many changes from last year, just a few additions - trying to figure in the extra LD distances and vet checks.

And we'll have Trail Rides both Saturday and Sunday.

http://www1.endurance.net/oreana/owyheecanyonlands/2008/

Also there is a change from my last post regarding ride vets due to a previous miscommunication on my part. Vets will be Michael Peterson (head vet), Robert Washington (treatment, control), Gene Nance (control). My apologies to Olin and Karen Balch, whose services I always appreciate, for the previous announcement error.

Also - a few notes for those who are coming:

On the terrain and footing: this is not difficult in terms of elevation. There are rolling hills but no significant climbs. There are some difficult areas though: some sand washes, rocky creek beds, rocky trail, and some cross country. I would call this ride 'easy to moderate' - but do recommend pads if your horse is not used to dry and rocky footing. Or boots if you're a barefoot rider.

Unless we get rain it's going to be pretty dusty on some of the trails, so you might want to bring a bandana. Generally the camp and trails are in good shape. The weather is usually great this time of year - warm days (70's) and cool nights (50's) are typical.

We'll have daily awards and also 5-day awards for both LD and Endurance distances. And also the Tough Sucker Award (and the Not Quite As Tough Sucker Award) for those that have done all days at Fandango and Canyonlands.

thats it - for now! I'll continue to post announcements and updates on the website.

Steph