Re: [RC] ponying - Diane Trefethen

Elizabeth Walker wrote:
Now .. wait a minute.. :)

I don't think they would be eligible for BC - part of the criteria is weight of the tack and the rider, but since the rider didn't ride the horse the entire distance, you would have to calculate what percentage of weight the horse *did* carry, in order to be fair.

Nope! A rider can lead his horse the whole ride and still the horse gets credit for "carrying" the rider + tack. If you think you have to allocate based on miles ridden, then to be fair, every Top Ten rider at every ride would have to fill out a form declaring (under penalty of perjury?) that he rode his horse X miles. Besides... who said things had to be fair? "Fair" is a man made concept. The only thing fair is the rules. The rest is what it is

Now .. for the rest .. The *rider* would only get one completion, as he only covered the course once.
Good point! Absolutely true.

Each *horse* would get a completion, though.  (or maybe, each horse
would only get credit for those miles where he was ridden, and
changes in horses could only take place at vet checks and
designated points, so milage could be recorded).

Aww... now you're talking more rules. And "everybody knows" we don't want to have a lot of nitty picky rules, right?

It wouldn't be a Chariot division, though, as there is no vehicle. It could be a Circus Division, though, and require the "rider" to stand on the bare backs of one or more horses, guiding them as a group.... Remind me to stay home if that ever happens. :)

Well, you have another good point about the vehicle but Circus? That sounds too frivolous... sort of demeaning to a dedicated bunch of horse enthusiasts such as we. How about the Roman Division? Roman riding is where you ride two or more horses bareback at the same time, one foot on each.

Oh wait...wait. I have it! The Pony Express Division! Where you cover lots of miles with different horses! And it even SOUNDS like an Endurance kind of thing :)