RE: [RC] "Feeding the Hoof"- Just Curious - Karen Standefer

If you had an IR or Cushings horse it would be come important to test.   One with affected horses will find all sorts of ways to insure low-sugar/starch feed.  It’s the only way to keep the animal sound.   People who have theses horses can get pretty creative in how they purchase, store and feed their hay.  Sometimes the only thing to do is to soak all the sugar out.

Karen

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of FXLivestock@xxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 4:29 PM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] "Feeding the Hoof"- Just Curious

I really wonder how practical it is to test hay if you don't buy in quantity.  It seems that if you don't buy all your hay at one time and from one source that testing would have to be done quite frequently depending on how often you buy forage, where you buy, and where the broker is getting the forage.

It is great that all this information is available but I wonder how easy it is to really put in practice considering that in many areas (again thinking of So Cal) that there are very few choices when it comes to keeping horses.

Kim Fuess