Re: [RC] Hoof Wizard...What do you guys think?? - Marlene Moss

It is my understanding that it is the bottom of the hoof that gives accurate information about how the individual hoof should be trimmed, not the hairline.  I didn’t get too far downloading the instructions to this thing, but it doesn’t look at all like it can possibly tell you where the coffin bone is located/positioned.  So unless you have a textbook perfect foot (well, 4 of them!) then I don’t see how it can help.

But I’m sure there are some people out there who would jump on it – we had a farrier convince one of our boarders that he could fix her horses feet and legs by his shoeing job.  She is severely bench kneed and then her feet curl back in at very different angles to each other.  But now her hooves match, too bad she’s lame.  He also said that hind shoes would fix her locking stifles.

I am not in any way slamming farriers in general or shoeing here – just anyone applying cookie cutter methods to either hoof care or training.  (And sorry if this sounds like a rant, having a bad month because of above farrier and his trainer wife who applies her own cookie cutter methods to training and is ruining the life of a very sweet horse that would much rather be on the trail than turn in circles all day!)

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.LosPinos-CO.com - Boarding, Sales and More

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com - Saddle Fitting