Re: [RC] more money- kathy - Lynne Glazer

Why would you want your farrier not to make money?  If he or she doesn't make enough money to pay their expenses and make some profit and put some aside for when they might be injured or wanna retire--then they won't be successful.  Fail to plan, plan to fail and all that.

Do you charge more if you're better at your work than anyone else?  Or do you just charge a "living wage"?

In my Mac consulting business, I've always charged less than the high priced spread, figuring that I would get more hours (volume) that way at single sites, without the customer worrying about oooh, she's designing network right now and that's worth more, and oh, she's walking around teaching shortcuts and better ways to get more done, that's only training and worth less.   In private photography shoots my creative fee (sitting fee) might be more, but my print cost is less than many of my peers.  Volume, again, and a fair wage.

My horse got shod by a "performance reining shoer" for $200 while on trial, and it took 7 months for his feet to return to normal.  The guy was incompetent to shoe any horse, since he couldn't recognize that he had nailed every nail but three in the quick, while trying to fit the feet into shoes two sizes too small, and the customer didn't have a clue either.  Amazingly, my horse stayed sound.  I think we owe it to our horses to become astute students of foot health without having necessarily to do the trimming and/or shoeing ourselves.  As some will tell you, I've blurted it out during photo shoots when the feet are so bad that the horse is in a dangerous way.

My shoer charges $40 for a trim (a little high) and $115 for shoes (well, that's the fuel thing in both cases), more than many but fair and he's caring, conscientous, intellectually curious, collaborative, and prompt.

Lynne
ex shade tree mechanic and Army officer, ordnance corp/maintenance specialty

Perhaps you mean set prices at the ethereal or e