[RC] Barefoot Hoof Trim - sherman

Terry,

I don’t believe that I’m the only one who read your post in the spirit it was meant. You pointed out the many reasons many horse owners would have a difficult time with barefoot horses. I love the bare hoof, but still end up with shoes on my daughter’s horse so we don’t have 2 sets of boots to deal with. I also don’t recommend barefoot to my friends unless they are having a problem that is clearly a shoeing problem AND (very big AND) they have the time and inclination to be dealing with booting or whatever else it takes to make the horse happy barefoot.

No, it certainly is not for all horses, not for all horse owners, and especially difficult for horse owners that have to board with little turnout. And you are so right, that living condition greatly affect hoof health. Yesterday I received a call regarding a 3 yr old that can barely walk, barefoot all her life, but on irrigated pasture, described as always having long toe problems, hoof is overgrown most of the time as the owner doesn’t rasp herself between farrier visits, and has wall chipping and splits that have now progressed up to the coronary, along with a possible abscess! I suggested the first step is to turn off the irrigation!  Oh, I forgot to mention the horse has thrush as well.

Yes, endurance riders generally know more about horse health, nutrition, first aid, etc, than the average horse owner, at least in my limited experience, and I didn’t take it personally when you were describing how some horses have to live their lives. I thank God and my wonderful husband every day that my horses have room to roam.

So go ride, Terry, but know that your posts are understood and appreciated.

Kathy