[RC] Barefoot Hoof Trim - Terry Banister

Hi Kim and Bruce and all!
Sorry, I thought my response was obvious that it was speaking in generalities. Endurance horse owners are just a tiny fraction of the entire horse population. And Endurance riders are the most savvy horse owners in the whole country, in my opinion. As I mentioned ~ endurance horses do get enough movement! But the question just  happened to be posted on an endurance forum.

 So my response was directed to the specific question of the B "trim." I was attempting to point out that there is more to successful barefoot experience than just the hoof trim. And those having successful barefoot experience had to pay attention to all factors of the horse's lifestyle, not just the way the hoof was trimmed. I even mentioned that in today's horse-boarding world, not many people can supply the necessary living conditions needed. I mentioned that steel shoes do work~ for the reasons we all mentioned.

I did not think I was saying that barefoot was the only way to compete a horse in endurance. Rather I was saying that it involves so many factors that most people won't be able to do it. (At least that is what i thought I was saying).

Well, you know, but failed to mention I only have one horse! I have often wondered what I would do if I had multiple horses, because each horse has different hoof needs. And not every horse comes to us with healthy, undamaged hooves like mind did. Managing multiple horses requires an efficient system. It is not practical to have some horses barefoot and some of the horses shod.

As you mentioned Kim, I went through a lot of trials and testing to see how long I could compete in endurance without having to shoe. At first it was just curiosity, because I had no record or goals to ruin. Then it became a challenge. I have missed top-ten several times because of boot issues. But I have also gotten completions after losing a boot when my friends lost a shoe and had to pull ~ Just this pas weekend, at Eastern High Sierra Classic!

Anyway, I do not try to convert my friends and fellow riders to barefoot, because I know how complicated it is to provide all the ingredients. I am happy, however, to share my experiences with those who are interested, because that is partly why I am doing it. Some people could keep their horses barefoot, but just don't know it.

And I do still feel that the majority of the general horse population is kept in unhealthy living conditions, and they aren't aware that it can be a factor in hoof health.

I think I am going to quit posting to RC because I am not good at it. I am going to shut up and ride!

Terry
"May the Horse be with you"

Get more from your digital life. Find out how.