[RC] Possible Hives - Linda Winkel

I suddenly keep having a problem with my gelding AJ and what appear to be hives. For the last several weeks he keeps breaking out all over with what appears to be hives I do not think it is mosquito bites. Since he is covered head to toe.
The vet put him on the steroid Dex and benadryl which I gave a series of treatments to him and got him all cleared up then about two days later they are back.. of course they come back on the weekend when we need to go out and do a ride to try and stay in some shape..
We live in Florida so it is hot and humid at this time of year but he has never had a problem before he is 8 years old and we have not changed anything in his environment or food..
He is now on a daily 1.5 cc of dex to hopefully just keep it in his system enough to keep the hives away.
How hard is the dex on his system I am concerned about him being on a steroid so often.. and the benadryl makes him want to just kill over.. he is very tired with the medicine..
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Linda and AJ