Re: [RC] Possible Hives - Anderson, Kristie Lynn

I had a similar problem with my gelding except that it did not come back. I
talked to the field services clinicians and the dermatologist at Texas A&M, and
they told me that Hydroxazine is the best drug for horses as far as
antihistamines go. For long term control, this is what they would recommend
using. Also, your guy is only 2 years older than mine, and they said that
that's right around the age that many long-term allergies start to develop. If
it persists, I would recommend skin testing as well.

I never got as far as skin testing, as Trigger's hives never returned. He had
hives from nose to tail (they were even covering his tail), swollen eyelids,
face, and sheath. he was depressed, but had a great appetite (Trigger lives to
eat), and his temperature climbed all the way up to 104.9F before I started to
hose him. I had field services come out that night (this was in early June),
and they gave banamine, dexamethasone, and hydroxazine.

I was told by one of our anesthesiologists who has a horse with bad allergies
(he's about 17 now, and he developed them at age 6) that hydroxazine is illegal
to use in competition (she rides dressage). I am not sure of the withdrawl time
for it, but dexamethasone does have a published withdrawl time, which I *think*
is 72 hours, but it was two months ago that I looked at that, so I may be wrong.

I would try to get him off the dex - long term steroid use in horses has it's
share of complications, and the hydroxazine should do you just as well with
less risk.

kris