Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2008 7:19 PM
Subject: [RC] Fw: [RC] [RC] Why I require hoof protection (was: Barefoot endurance)

I am working towards a completely bare footed horse. I don't think of myself as an extremist, though there are plenty out there. I do firmly believe that generally speaking a barefoot horse is a healthier horse. Of course it is not fair to assume that every horse falls into that category. I know it depends first and foremost on the animal. Each horse is different. Genetics, diet, how and where it lives, what it's job is, all play a role in making the decision of what is best for the animal.

It would be lunacy for me to say ALL endurance horses MUST have hoof protection just as it would be to say NO rides shall be held that don't require it. My concern is that Kat said that "she doesn't trust any rider or vet to pull a footsore horse". I would and do trust the vets to know what they are doing and be able to stand up to the arguementative riders. That is what they are paid to do. Most riders will know if their horse is off even if it is on all four.

The PS region where she has her rides are some of the best terrain for a well conditioned barefoot horse. I believe if riders are given the choice of hoof protection rather than it being mandated we might see more responsible ridership. But then I am not doing this for the points either. I may be "all wet" when it comes to the highly competitive people. Most of them are using some form of hoof protection and they are the ones pushing their animals to the limits.

Rick
As for me and my horse, we shall serve the Lord. Gallopin' 2:4