Re: [RC] [RC] Hay Woes..; - Sisu West Ranch

"...where the humidity is 60--90 % alot in hay season...'

I learned a bit more about hay this season.  Here in the Bitterroot where the dew point is usually in the 40's (Humidity 5-15%) you can usually cut, rake the second day, and bale the third.

This year we had lots of irrigation water so everyone, including me, kept the fields very wet.  I stopped the flood, on the 5th day cut etc.  When it came time to bale, the bottoms of the windrows were not dry at all!  I turned the hay.  The next day some was dry, but there were still some places where the bottom was still wet.  I turned again. Then I was able to bale.

I finally figured out, that the difference between here and the Midwest is not just the air.  Usually here the ground is really dry, so the bottom can dry.  This year it was not.

In any event, alls well that ends well.  I was even able to trade days with a neighbor for hay buckers and get the hay all in the barn the day after baling.

My neighbor was able to find a rancher who had more summer help than he needed.  He rented me two High School football players.  Reasonable wages and, he takes care to make sure all SS, income, medicare taxes are paid and workmans compensation up to date.  Their attitude was (and I do quote) "Ranch work is great.  I get a good workout and get paid also."

The two boys put about 16 Ton in the barn for 8 hours work.  The only fly in the ointment, is that I failed the weed free inspection this year,  but I do have enough left over from last year for my needs.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875