Re: [RC] Does anybody even bother to read the rules? - Katrina Mosshammer

From: "k s swigart" <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said

> This is so clearly NOT what the AERC rules say (the salient points of
> which I outlined in my previous post) in fact, the "exception" isn't
> about LD rides it is about endurance rides which must be a minimum of
> 50.  LD rides of 22.5 miles can be rounded up to 25.
>
> People, the rules are ON LINE:
>
> http://www.aerc.org/upload/Rules_Current.pdf

Yes it does seem pretty clear, but let me muddy thing up a bit.Winking smile emoticon

Rule 1 states: 1. The ride must be at least 50 miles in length per day, up to a maximum distance of 150 miles in three days.

Rule L1 states: L1. Limited Distance rides must be at least 25 miles but not exceed 35 miles in length. These rides must be sanctioned into the Limited Distance Program and held in conjunction with or within an adjacent 24 hour time period of an AERC Sanctioned Endurance Ride.

So if a 49.9 mile trail can NOT be considered a 50 mile endurance ride, then if you interpret rule L1 the EXACT same way then a 24.9 mile trail or a 35.1 mile trail can NOT be considered an LD ride, right? HOWEVER, if you read rule L1.1 (L1.1 Mileage must be a multiple of 5, ending in 0 or 5, whichever is the nearest whole number to the actual ride mileage (e.g. 22.4 = 20 miles, 22.5 = 25 miles.) it clearly states that a 22.5 mile trail CAN be an LD ride. So the rules are inconsistent and I think a person could argue the same point and apply it towards endurance rides.

Clear as mud, right?Smile emoticon

This might be something worth bringing up to the rules committee.

Katrina Mosshammer (AERC # 5763)
Manager - Mid-Summer Night's Madness
Clayton, OK - August 16, 2008 - Central Region

Click Link for Entry Form - http://aerc.org/Calendar/2008MSNM.pdf