[RC] RO-L vs LAME - rnbianchi

Last March I did a ride in which my horse came up lame in the first 7 miles.  He was okay at the walk so I walked him back to camp and took him right to the vet check area.  Because I'd never had a pull before, I told them I was doing a RO-L because I wanted the vet to know that I knew the horse was lame and could not/would not go on.  I was summarily informed that the horse was lame (like it wasn't totally obvious) and therefore was not eligible for a RO-L.  Okay, my bad (as the kids like to day).  It is now crystal clear the difference between RO-L and Lame.  I won't make that mistake again.  BTW, the horse had badly smashed his splint bone on that ride, but after 10 months of rest is sound and ready to re-condition. YES!! I have my buddy back and I have missed riding him terribly.

As if that wasn't enough of a lesson, my daughter's horse came up lame (at the same ride venue held in October) where the vet passed her horse but said to watch her right hind.  By the time she walked away from the check area and was half way back to the trailer the horse went dead lame (a cramp due to cold/wet weather).  So, when her lunch break was over she walked the horse back up to the same vet in the check area and told her she was doing a RO-L.  Done.  She then walked her horse for the next 6 hours while I finished the 50 and her horse was completely sound.  In hind sight, could the mare have worked out the cramp on the ride trail?  Maybe, but who would risk it?

Bottom line: if the vet says the horse is lame at a check it is recorded as LAME by AERC, if the vet says okay to go on but the rider decides things aren't right and pulls then it is recorded RO-L by AERC.  Vividly clear in my mind.