Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] bin Ladens son wants to put on an Endurance Ride across Africa - Tom Sites

I think there is enough of this. This discussion is about a ride across Africa. Lets keep it to that as there will never be an answer, only viewpoints and there are many. ts
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Lewis" <mikelewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Tom Sites" <goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 6:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] bin Ladens son wants to put on an Endurance Ride across Africa

Thank you, Truman.  I appreciate the historical context you presented on
this matter--very good information.

One thing I'd point out, though, is that stepping to the middle of the room
is not an option when "giving peace a chance" means destruction of one's own
way of life. There is no middle ground when Osama wants me to deny my
beliefs and take up his. I might as well suggest he do the same for me. If
there is any "middle ground" it is shared among those of us of different
faiths, who see the enemy as a radical Islamic faction who would push its
beliefs forcefully on the rest of us. There cannot be compromise here; our
enemy certainly will not compromise on our behalf.

Mike ----- Original Message ----- From: "Truman Prevatt" <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: "Tom Sites" <goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx> Cc: "ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 10:02 AM Subject: Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] bin Ladens son wants to put on an Endurance Ride across Africa

Tom,

I think we lose sight of history.  Afghanistan was caught in the Cold
war between the Soviet Union and the US. Eisenhower was the first US
president to offer aid to Afghanistan as a wedge in the region against
the Russians. Afghanistan provided a land wedge between our long time
ally Pakistan to the South and the Soviet Republics of to the North.

With the fall of the pro US Government in Iran Afghanistan took on even
greater strategic geo-political importance for the US.  When the Soviets
invaded Afghanistan in '79 then President Jimmy Carter saw no option but
to act. He withdrew the US from the Moscow Olympics and many of our
European allies followed suit.  He also put into place a covert
operation to provide military aid, military training to the Afghan
"Mujahid" to fight the Russians.

Part of the strategy was to train the Afghan's to hate the Russians -
actually not all that difficult. The US CIA tapped a young fellow named
Osama BinLaden to aid them. The CIA provided all the educational
material used in the schools to instill the desire on the part of the
Afghans to throw out the Russian invaders. The CIA trained a young Bin
Laden and his lieutenants how to train insurgents. Much of what you see
used on us today in the insurgent warfare is right out to our playbook.
What President Carter put into motion worked quite well as the Russians
had to withdraw from Afghanistan in defeat. Maybe it worked too well :-( .

However, we had in the process built a huge network in Afghanistan that
would come back to later haunt us when Al Qaeda spun off of the Mujadid.
With the US invasion of Iraq in '92, Desert Storm, they turned their ire
toward the US and as they say the rest is history, they turned the
educational material we provided them to target the Soviets to target
the US. the first World Trade Center bombing in '93, the SS Cole and
finally the World Trade Center in 2001.

Of course the killing of innocent folks at the WTC is not justified,
however, all incidents in history need to be put into a historical
context. The history of human conflict is that peace is never attained
until all parties are willing to step to the middle of the room, see the
world from each others eyes and compromise.

I for one feel that no offering of an Olive Branch - no matter how small
- should be ignored. To quote Jimmy Carter, "War may sometimes be a
necessary evil. But no matter how necessary, it is always an evil, never
a good. We will not learn how to live together in peace by killing each
other's children."

Truman

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a
into you.”  Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil