[RC] WEE (or WeE or WEe or wEE or ...) - John Teeter

On Jan 15, 2008, at 10:53 PM, Steph Teeter wrote:

This is exactly why I'm starting the WEE (world endurance exchange... or whatever) !

http://wee.endurance.net/
http://www.endurance.net/wee/

A bit more on this. Basically, WEE is about people finding people who want to meet people in other parts of the world - with the focus being the sharing of rides.

It's really based on the concept that --

My backyard is very familiar to me and I ride it every day. But to you, my back yard is an exotic destination which, when you come visit, has a horse and trails to ride!

You come visit me, spend a week and we ride - I come visit you - we spend a few days and WE RIDE.

so that's the basics. WeE is intended to help people meet people with the focus being distance riding. At the technical level, the WeE site is a dating site. Steph hates to hear me characterize it that way though:)

Now there are many kinds of distance riding, there are world level FEI events where riders (and horses) are competing for world ranking; there are national events - AERC, AERA, .... every country basically has one or more groups doing sanctioned distance events. There are equine destination resorts/spas/ranches - Maryanne Gabbani is a good example; as is Sky Coruthers in Patagonia and Lari Shea on the beaches in California. And then there are riders - all of which have training trails and horses that need ridden.

I'm putting various "rides and events" into the WEE, these are now events which I know about, events which may help catalyze the growth of the network of ride sharing, events at which I know some sharing is already going on. So when you go to the WeE, you'll see selected events from around the world.

But anyone who joins can add their own events, be they a 10 mile training loop that you ride every other day or a grand Owyhee Fandango which (we hope) will have live internet video feeds to the whole world! By adding an event, you are saying to the endurance world, come ride my trails! come share with me the beauty of what endurance really is.

If you are a Ride Manager or Organizer, add our events! if you are a rider going to a particular ride and have a spare horse, join that event and see others who may want to come to the event but don't have a horse.

The WEE is an evolving experiment. It builds on the years of travel and friendships which Steph has experienced in this endurance community and tries to provide an "endurance venue" which encourages others experience the joys of sharing.

Nostalgic break:) I remember the first time I met Leonard Leisens from Belgium. He had flown in to Salt Lake City and we (steph&I) were passing through from Idaho headed to Crocket Dumas' 5 day Outlaw Trail. Steph & I had 4 horses with us and only 3 riders. Leo, and internet friend, was going to ride with us the 250 miles through the Butch/Sundance sliprock country of southern Utah. I remember thinking 1) too bad quicksiver acted up and rolled him off her back during the test ride!!:) and 2) I hope Santini and Leo get along, its going to be a long ride .... Of course, Santini went on to not only finish Outlaw Trail, but to also carry Leo to off continent gold at the Pan Americans!! All thanks to Kat Swagart having saved a hard2handle Great Santini from the auction!! live is very interesting:)

jt