RE: [RC] What I know about Mustangs - Tipton, Janet

Hi Sheila,

I started a non profit organization called Intermountain Wild Horse &
Burro Advisors (IWHBA).  We are headquartered in Utah.  We have a
"learning center" at our ranch where we keep 3-4 mustangs for the BLM,
that volunteers can come out and learn hands on how to gentle and train
these beautiful animals.

We then are able to take the gentled horses to adoptions where people
that would like to get a mustang but either don't have the skills or the
facilities for a truly wild one can have the opportunity to adopt one.

I also try to take 3-4 a year to endurance rides around the state to
expose the endurance community to them.  Over the years we have adopted
out 8 of the 12 we have taken into great homes with endurance riders.

My friend and I both ride mustangs and my little mare is just 35 miles
shy of her 1,000 miles in LD (which she will hopefully reach at the Pink
Flamingo ride next weekend) where I will also have a 2 year old bay
mustang filly that will be available for adoption.  If anyone that is
attending would like to see pictures please email me and I would be
happy to send you a couple.

Janet Tipton

I know that someone reputable (dont' remember who)  picked out horses
for
the AERC raffle, is that person available for "hire" to help pick one
out.
I think people don't get mustangs because they are afraid of what they
may
be getting into or don't have the time to devote to a completely
unsocialized horse (mustang or otherwise).  If people really want to
solve
this problem of finding homes for mustangs these issues need to be
discussed and solutions, ideas, whatever presented.