RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Trot vs Canter - Melinda Faubel

Quoted text: "Nonetheless, when a horse is traveling 15-18 mph at the trot=
 (which a few can!), there is considerable extension and suspension....&nbs=
p; So, while they may not execute the gait "correctly" I'd still call it an=
 extended trot....</div>"

Hehehe.  I clocked my standardbred mare at 24 mph trot (by my GPS...however accurate that actually is) before I chickened out and reined her in (couldn't see, tears streaming out my eyes, wind catching the brime of my helmet, and her movement so big that my body was actually turning sideways.)  What a rush.

We usually try and keep it down to a much more resonable speed.  I can definately tell when she breaks into the racing trot - much more spring from the back and more suspension.  And it's not just an issue of speed.  She has a very fast working trot (if I let her) but the minute I feel that suspension, even if we haven't actually speeded up yet I know I am in trouble.

BTW - she has arthritis in one of her back hocks (bone spavin), positive in a flexion test, but does well with regular work.  Vet said it's REALLY common in Standardbreds.  Maybe has something to do with their trot?

Melinda