Re: [RC] [RC] OLD HORSES - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Oh, Elizabeth, thank you for sharing this story.  It made me cry but it was a good cry.  I see the same thing with our Sammy.  The more he is worked at 27 the happier and in shape he is.

<During this time, his arthritis got better, his topline came back up to level, and his belly firmed up.  Just before I lost him to a broken leg, the vet made a comment about how he looked more like a 16 year old than a 25 year old.  When I started taking him back out on trail, in his old stomping grounds, he would stop and gaze around - just looking at the scenery he hadn't seen in a nearly a decade (and he remembered all the trails).  Sometimes, he would try and take another trail back out rather than toward the trailer.  I don't think that "giving him a rest" would have been doing him any favors.>