Re: [RC] OLD HORSES - Elizabeth Walker

When my old horse was about 12, he pulled both front suspensories and I retired him from rides (mostly LDs, 1 50).  When he turned 20, he started having problems with arthritis in his left front, which I treated with Adequan.  At that time, I was mostly doing arena work with him.  At age 23, he was starting to *look* old - his back was starting to sag, he had a pot belly.

I started him back on trail riding that year - first just at a walk.  As he got into better shape, I added trot, and the canter.  At age 24, I entered him in a 15-mile fun ride, and kept up his conditioning program.  At age 25, I entered and completed an LD.  We finished mid-pack.

During this time, his arthritis got better, his topline came back up to level, and his belly firmed up.  Just before I lost him to a broken leg, the vet made a comment about how he looked more like a 16 year old than a 25 year old.  When I started taking him back out on trail, in his old stomping grounds, he would stop and gaze around - just looking at the scenery he hadn't seen in a nearly a decade (and he remembered all the trails).  Sometimes, he would try and take another trail back out rather than toward the trailer.

I don't think that "giving him a rest" would have been doing him any favors.