[RC] OLD HORSES - Sharon Hahn

I did ask my old horse (she's 24).  We used to ride competitive trail.  A couple years ago, I switched to LD because I felt desire to keep up with the herd was making her go faster than she really wanted to, and she couldn't stop and rest when she needed to take a breather (in competitive, we normally ride together in groups of 5 of so).  Last year she did a full season of LD (not racing), but although she completed fine, she didn't seem like she was having fun as she had in previous years.  So she is now largely retired from competition, although she still enjoys trail riding.  Took her to an LD this past weekend.  It was a lovely day, not hot, low humidity, and a flat trail less than an hour from home.  I thought she'd enjoy it so I entered her and we had a nice time.  I let her pick the speed and we finished in just under 5 hours with ears up.

I think distance riding is best done by a horse that enjoys it, of any age.  Running a fit young horse that hates it is like making a teenage kid run marathons even if they hate it.  Yes, they can do it, and maybe even better than older contestants, but if they hate it, what's the point?  And if a 65 year old person wants to be active and continue running or hiking, we wouldn't say, "No, you have to sit in a rocking chair and be bored and get flabby and unfit" - we'd say "good for you!"  I think it's great to keep older horses going as long as you monitor them to make sure you're not overdoing it (if you're having to kick and whip to get them to finish the trail, or the ears go back when you bring out the saddle or the trailer, or you can't keep weight on, or they're sore afterward, it's time to reduce difficulty or quit).  It keeps them mentally and physically fit = living longer, healthier, and happier.

UMECRA started an award this year for senior horses.  It's for most points accumulated during the season by an equine 20 or older in any number of divisions with any number of riders.  There are 11 nominees, and the oldest is 27.  We'll see how it pans out.

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!
Choose From 200+ Email Addresses