Re: [RC] LD and Placings now awards & expenses? - Diane Trefethen

Truman - you have been making a lot of snide remarks during this discussion, remarks that fan the discontent of some and in no way contribute to the understanding that SHOULD be the goal of a discussion as serious as this one. This is your latest:

Hopefully the LD riders remember who supported them and who didn't
over the next couple of years.

You are implying that RMs who do not cater to the desires of LD riders are not supporting them when in fact, as Bruce said, it is the RMs who keep in mind the abilities and attitudes of all the entrants to their LD rides that are really supporting those riders... not the ones who just drop to their knees and give the riders what they want.

This remark is also a threat. "Give us what we want or we'll boycott your ride and you'll be through!"

I hate blackmail and blackmailers. If a rider thinks that an RM's reasons for failing to have a BC are invalid, sure, he can vote with his feet and ride elsewhere. But if the rider can understand WHY the RM does what he does, why should he boycott an otherwise great ride, ONLY because it doesn't offer a BC?

The bottom line for a great many in the West Region is that if AERC would just remove the requirement that LD BCs use Endurance rules, including only the Top Ten, they would be happy to participate in the national program. It is the racing aspect that scares them. Remember all you newbies, American Endurance started out here. We made all those darn mistakes first and in spades. We KILLED HORSES, far more in just a relatively few *races* than the HWC dealt with in any of the last few years. And we DO give BCs, just not Top Ten BCs. So you see, it is AERC that is refusing to give our region's LD riders recognition, not our RMs.

As Bruce said, know the history, and you may realize that "progress" is sometimes just a path already taken, perhaps unsuccessfully.