Re: [RC] Change - Elizabeth Walker

On Jul 8, 2008, at 11:39 AM, David LeBlanc wrote:

There should be. The Aussie system seems to be a good one, but I doubt we
could put it in place. They set a maximum speed until you get (I think) 3
rides under your belt, and this applies for each new distance level.

I totally agree. I wrote up a proposal along these lines, and turned it in. Never heard from again. Lots of cries of "that is CTR, not endurance" - totally missing the point that this was not for everyone, but just for folks newly entering that distance. I still don't understand why there is such resistance to the idea. Such a system would allow having an LD competition with speed, placings and BC, while providing an extra measure of protection for new riders.

Sure - I know all kinds, too. However, you're making a mistake to think that
the only people who think some changes are needed are new to the sport. You
made the mistake of thinking I fit in that category when I've got 68 rides
and 62 completions, and my horse has 63 completions out of 67 starts. I
typically ride slowly, and encourage others to do so, especially if they are
new. I don't think Truman's remotely a new person, and he and I seem to
agree on this. Heidi's about as far from a newbie as you're going to get,
and she supports BC for LD.

I agree, and while I don't have 1000's of miles, I don't consider myself to be a newbie. I used to ride LD in the "old days" - back when folks thought endurance horses had to be skinny to be competitive, and there was no LD program. They had 25 mile rides, but I don't think AERC kept track of the LD miles -- I know that none of the LD rides I did back then got recorded. I have also been on the other side -- I have helped out at the local rides for well over a decade (ok: two decades).