Re: [RC] horse back pain - Mary Krauss

Just a thought Amy,

I had a gelding who, like yours, could handle light work, but came up sore after any sort of normal outing. At first the problem manifested in pulled shoes--he'd pull a shoe almost every time out. Then he became really sore in his whole hind area, basically like gradual tying up; the soreness would work itself out over a couple of days to a week, but it always came right back if we were out more than 5 or 6 miles. After 2 years of farrier work, saddle trials, lameness exams, x-rays, and careful conditioning programs, my constantly sore-bottomed horse turned out to have EPSM, a metabolic disorder that lots of heavily muscled horses suffer (including an increasing number of Arabs). Because affected horses can't metabolize glucose properly, their muscles are starving. Ironically they often pile on fat (easy keepers)--perhaps because the fuel they're getting can't be utilized properly and has nowhere to go, or perhaps because their muscles keep calling out for more food? At any rate, after putting him on a special diet of Ultium (no high carb sweet feeds, as little grain product as possible) dressed with 2 cups of oil, a.m. and p.m., he came back nearly 100% for his new owners. Apparently these horses utilize fat as doing so skips whatever metabolic step their muscles can't handle.

If Dr. Beth Valentine at Oregon State is an expert on the disorder and was tremendously helpful on the phone and through e-mails. She charged zero but said I could donate to the draft horse group she's part of, so I did so.

Good luck to you. I was horrified at first, then relieved to discover my horse's health problem. Finally the mystery was gone....