From: Truman Prevatt [mailto:tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2008 10:14 AM
To: muleman60@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF; Sharon Levasseur;
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] LD and Placings

There are fixed cost that come with the ride - the campground, permit
fees, food, etc. There are cost that are distance specific. Most 100's
try to have better prizes for the 100's for example. It cost more for
vets for a 100 than a 50 and if you have a sufficient number of vets in
your area you can use "half day vets" to cover the LD's. The fee for a
vet for a half day is less than for a full day. I can tell you it sure
cost more than 1/2 the cost of a 50 for an LD.

The biggest difference between cost for LD's, 50's and 100's is in the
vets and prizes. The rest of the cost are pretty much base cost
associated with having the ride. While you can run an LD for less than a

50 - it's not much different. For a 100 the extra cost for the vets has
to be spread normally over a small number of riders at least for
budgetary purposes and for cost unless there is some subsidization from
the shorter rides to help fund the 100.
Truman

marshall Bates wrote:

I suggest that any of you who think that LD's should be charged half
price should put on a ride and see where the costs really lie.
Campground facilities cost the same, land management fees are the
same, water trucks, ambulance trailer, dinner, sanctioning fees etc
are the same wether it is a 25 or 100 mile ride.

As far as benefits-where else can you get a GOOD vet check 3 times for

the entry price? How about the facilities we use (try a private
campground and all their rules and you will appreciate the ride
facilities even more). Where else could you go and have the ability to

learn from such experienced folks? There are a lot more benefits but
these came to mind first.

Marsh the muleman

quoting "Kitley, Carrie E Civ USAF AFSPC 30 MDSS/SGSLF"
" So maybe . . . charge the LD rides as just
that,
"training rides" and charge 1/2 the fee? If we have to pay the
same fee
as those doing "endurance," then we should at least reap SOME
benefit
for the effort.

--

into you." Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil