[RC] Endurance Ball caps for Bekki Crippen? - rides2far

I would hesitate to continue posting too many details on here but looks like this morning this sort of news would be a welcome change of pace. Also, if any of you have any endurance baseball caps left over from rides looks like Bekki could use one as a perk-her-up.

The full report is below but here's a quote that made me smile from the end in case you don't get that far:

>She is definitely making the best of this, and we are all in awe of her continued good spirits.  Praise God! >One of the nurses at the chemo lab commented on how strong she was being.  She replied--"I'm an >Endurance Rider!"  I'm not sure they understood what that was but, whatever!  Love to you all--thanks for >your prayers and love and concern.  Karen

Before she started treatments I told her the scariest part of the ride was always right before you start, then after that you're too busy hanging on to worry. The only thing you want anybody to tell you is when you're halfway there. She has decided to approach the whole thing like an endurance ride now.

If you happen to be in the SE within driving distance of Chattanooga, Bekki has a horse cart & harness she'd like to sell. I'll get some photos.

Send "Perk her ups" to
Bekki Crippen
19741 Hwy 11
Wildwood, GA 30757

full report from her mom:

Hi Friends,

Just a quick update on Bekki--so many of you have asked and I haven't had time to write everyone.  She was doing very well until last Friday when her right arm started to swell.  Since this was not the side the lymph nodes came out of, I just figured she got bit or something.  But Friday afternoon it looked serious enough that I called her doc and was told to take her to the ER.  Well, we ended up spending practically the whole night there, they did an ultrasound, said it was not a blood clot, maybe an infection, and finally sent us home in the wee hours of the morning with an antibiotic.  Saturday and Sunday it continually got bigger so by Monday morning we were back at the doctor's.  The doctor felt it definitely looked like a blood clot and sent us to another hospital for another ultrasound.  Sure enough, and by this time it was huge--extending from her port-o-cath around under the collar bone and down the right arm almost to her elbow.  They started giving her injections in her stomach, one a day, at the hospital, and put her on coumadin.  Yesterday she had her second chemo treatment and weathered it like a trooper. It is freezing cold in there, so she wears the warm, snuggy jacket that Jill gave her with the horses on it.   Most of her hair is gone and she is wedded to a cute pink baseball cap with a horse on it that Mike Cheatham gave her.  They tell us the arm won't get any better for awhile--probably several months--but, hopefully, it won't get any worse.  The pics show her getting "The Red Devil."  This is one of the three chemo drugs that causes all sorts of nastiness--one being mouth sores; however, they have learned that if you eat ice the whole time you are getting it, you can hopefully avoid the mouth sores.  Bekki is eating popsicles non-stop for this one--a real perk! Thanks Angie for the Endurance cooler that she carries with her to keep the popsicles cold.  The other one is her watching a movie with her laptop and crocheting.  More dish cloths--she had gotten way behind because she didn't feel like crocheting for a while after her first treatment.  She is definitely making the best of this, and we are all in awe of her continued good spirits.  Praise God! One of the nurses at the chemo lab commented on how strong she was being.  She replied--"I'm an Endurance Rider!"  I'm not sure they understood what that was but, whatever!  Love to you all--thanks for your prayers and love and concern.  Karen

Angie McGhee

Click to replace your roof - modern technology.