Re: [RC] [RC] Lighter Note - Barn placement - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Barbara makes a very good point about insurance liabilities.   I had a hay barn on one of my properties that was within 25 feet of 'living beings' the insurance company would not cover it.  Also, the Fire Department issued a 'warning' - after the insurance agent inspected the farm!  So, I had use the building for farm equipment storage.  Now, I ask you, wouldn't gas powered equipment pose a fire threat?  Well, it did, however not as great of a threat as the core temp of 25 tons of hay!

When I sell this property and find a new property, to build on, or an existing facility, I want it to be as close to my house as the legal limits of the insurance policy and/or fire department.  I have even considered a home over the barn!  Especially since I am looking in areas like NY, and PA!   Regardless, I like my horses within a 1 minute response time - on foot!  I have that where I am now and it works out just fine.  Very little flys - we have a herd of turkeys that come through daily that keeps the larvae down, we have fly predators, fly bags (which take care of bees as well for some reason), and five cats that man the barns VERY WELL!  I swear if I could train them to clean stalls live would be devine!  LOL!

D'Arcy