Re: [RC] Fw: [RC] [RC] Big Brown's Bent Shoe - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

Phenomenal job by KD!!!! I know from experiencing this last year with my mare that it is an absolute irritant!   She wanted to keep running but pushed her butt sideways every time she struck her left year leg almost dislodging me.  After a couple of strides I got off and checked her shoes and sure enough..two nails had come loose poking her in the frog with each step.  I tapped the shoe back in place - duck tapped it (passing walker that lived right off the trail went and got some duck tape) and got her back to the trailer to pull the shoe.  Farrier was puzzled.  I was puzzled because it was NOT loose when I cleaned her hooves after saddling up.  I never left her side.  The only thing we can figure is that I did go through some mud and it might have sucked the shoe enough to dislodge the nails.

Now, I can't even imagine running a horse and 35+mph with that shoe bent and the nail sticking straight up into the frog.  I was actually surpised that KD was not tossed to the side of the rail as he was off side as Guadacanal stepped onto Big Brown.  Quite a jockey and a cosumate professional in my book!

D'Arcy