From: rainbowmeadowsranch@xxxxxxxxx
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; windsock75@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Preventing Scratches
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:27:58 -0500

If you are concerned, then apply a waterproof barrier that is "legal".  Check with those in the know to determine what is allowed.  My preference would be an aluminum spray or generic zinc ointment.

There can be an immune system component involved or, more probably, a pre-ride environment which set the horses up for trouble (chronically wet pastures or paddocks or stalls).  Here in southern Kansas we have not been dry for over two months.  As a result, all horses which are kept on 240 acres of knee high prairie grass, are wet 24 x 7.  So, even the black legged horses are having some very mild issues with scratches (also called Dew Poisoning).

Karen Everhart MEd
Co-founder and Executive Director
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Serving the equine companions who have so loyally served us...
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082