[RC] Overall milage for horse - rides2far

<<This might encourage keeping a horse at the lower distance longer
knowing that these miles would be added later. >>

I recently had a newcomer contact me through the AERC Mentor's list. She wanted to know why, as a newcomer, she would have to race against people who had been doing this for a long time and were still riding in what she thought was the introductory level. "Why don't they make them move up and give us newcomers a chance to win?" was her question.

I pretty much just said that it's just two different distances and people are allowed to stay down there as long as they like...however, she did not have to begin there, was welcome to skip it all together and that "winning" as in *finishing first* in the introductory level need not be her goal. This was a totally novel idea to her. It hadn't occurred to her that the goal was not seeing how fast you could do a distance. When I suggested she set a goal of completing a 50 rather than "winning" a 25 she was very happy to do that. She was already riding 25 at home so that wasn't much of a competition goal for her. I think she would have been pretty dumbfounded if she thought we were "encouraging keeping a horse at the lower distance longer".

Angie

Orlando Vacations - Click Here!