[RC] Saving money (was: entry fees) - rides2far

I think the gist of this conversation is that we need to figure out how
to still compete with current gas prices. Though I still like a cheaper
entry fee and will skip a meal, the best way to make a real impact on
your fuel cost is to pick up a hauling partner. I can save $8 to $20 by
skipping a meal, up to about $60 by choosing one ride over another, but I
could cut my fuel bill in HALF by being willing to share a ride.  Though
I still prefer to haul my 2 horse trailer, I finally bought a 3 horse
goose neck and I can go cheaper if I'll pull that and find someone to
fill that empty slot and share gas.

I used to have two hauling buddies. We lived relatively close and were
willing to share space.One was a junior, which was good because that
automatically puts them out of the decision making process if there's a
battle of opinions. >g< I think I have gotten used to bringing along
hubby for a driver (takes up a paying slot) and just spreading out, but I
come from a big family so I am pretty capable of cramming it all in
again.

There could be some upside to this. If we double up our campgrounds can
hold more of these big rigs, we will socialize more, sometimes you learn
you don't need to bring so much stuff, and what the heck, we'll cut down
on our carbon footprint. >g< Maybe we'll even get busy and recruit some
new locals to the sport. Can some of you guys *imagine* picking up
another horse & rider on your way to the ride? If you do, you're going to
have to start planning your packing like you were loading  up the back of
a 2 horse & a pickup again...and so are they! :-)

Angie