[RC] Fwd: Ride Fees - Melinda Faubel

I consider ~$100 dollars fair for a one day 50. If there are multiple days, it is nice to get a discount, but not absolutely necessary.

That being said....

I consider each ride on it's own merit. Not all rides cost the same to put on and rides can benefit different charities or causes. Some rides it is very easy to do your own food, others the convenience of providing meals is wonderful.

For example: I think Wild West is GORGEOUS and part of the ride fee goes to support the trails in the area (I think) which are public. Whether or not the $ is given to a local trail organization or not, by investing in a ride manager or a ride that occurs yearly, I am investing in the upkeep and management of trails that I can go back and ride on later in the year! With this combination, if this ride raised entry fees, I would still pay and go (I hope the Ribley's are not reading this....). On the other hand, if a ride had OK trails, and those trails were on private land, and there was not special cause involved, I would be put off by a higher ride fee and would either find a cheaper ride to attend that weekend OR find a more expensive ride that had something special going for it. I am considering doing a new ride this June, but the entry fee is higher than usual ($125!) it is ~80 miles from my house. Another ride ~60 miles from my house in the same general time frame is $100. However, I am seriously considering going to the $125 entry fee ride because it is a fundraiser for a charity that is trying to obtain and protect the public use trails in the area, and the milage difference is inconsequential.

Bottom line: I evaluate each ride and what it has to offer regarding trails, camping, benefits to trails, meals and make a decision of whether or not I feel the fee is worth it.

Melinda Faubel